- All men think all men mortal, but themselves.
~ ~ Edward Young
- Men fear death, as children fear to go in the dark; and as that natural
fear in children is increased with tales, so is the other.
~ ~ Francis Bacon
- Men talk of killing time, while time quietly kills them.
~ ~ Dion Boucicault
- Our birth is nothing but our death begun, as tapers waste the moment
they take fire. ~ ~ Edward Young
- Death should not be seen as the end but as a very effective way to cut
~ ~ Woody Allen
- If it’s natural to kill why do men have to go into training to learn
~ ~ Joan Baez
- What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a
~ ~ Richard Bach
- Death is as sure for that which is born, as birth is for that which is
dead. Therefore grieve not for what is inevitable.
~ ~ Bhagavad Gita
- To every thing there is a season,
and a time to every purpose under the heaven;
A time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck that which is planted.
~ ~ Bible – Ecclesiastes 3:1
- There is nothing which at once affects a man so much and so little as
his own death.
~ ~ Samuel Butler
- Capital punishment is the most premeditated of murders, to which no
criminal’s deed, however calculated can be compared. For there to be an
equivalency, the death penalty would have to punish a criminal who had warned
his victim of the date at which he would inflict a horrible death on him and
who, from that moment onward, had confined him at his mercy for months. Such a
monster is not encountered in private life.
~ ~ Albert Camus
- Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice
sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as
die because they are afraid to live.
~ ~ Charles Caleb Colton "The
- Our life is made by the death of others.
Leonardo da Vinci
- Death, the most dreaded of evils, is therefore of no concern to us; for
while we exist death is not present, and when death is present we no longer
~ ~ Epicurus
- Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves
on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
~ ~ Susan Ertz "Anger in the
- No neurotic harbours thoughts of suicide which are not murderous
impulses against others redirected upon himself.
~ ~ Sigmund Freud "Beyond the
Pleasure Principle" (1920)
- Live as you will have wished to have lived when you are dying.
~ ~ Christian Furchtegott Gellert
- Success has killed more men than bullets.
~ ~ Texas Guinan
- It’s funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are
made for life.
~ ~ Jimi Hendrix, Rolling Stone,
December 2, 1976
- So long as governments set the example of killing their enemies, private
citizens will occasionally kill theirs.
~ ~ Elbert Hubbard
- Death is psychologically as important as birth . . . Shrinking away from
it is something unhealthy and abnormal which robs the second half of life of
~ ~ Carl Gustav Jung, January 16,
- A man’s dying is more the survivors’ affair than his own.
~ ~ Thomas Mann
- A suicide kills two people . . . that’s what it’s for.
~ ~ Arthur Miller "After the
- We die only once, and for such a long time!
~ ~ Molière
- The idea is to die young as late as possible.
~ ~ Ashley Montagu
- Why do we kill people who are killing people to show that killing people
~ ~ Holly Near
Even very young children need to be. ~ ~ P. J. O’Rourke
informed about dying. Explain the concept of death very carefully to your
child. This will make threatening him with it much more effective
- We say that the hour of death cannot be forecast, but when we say this
we imagine that hour as placed in an obscure and distant future. It never
occurs to us that it has any connection with the day already begun or that
death could arrive this same afternoon, this afternoon which is so certain and
which has every hour filled in advance.
~ ~ Marcel Proust
- Boy, when you are dead, they really fix you up. I hope to hell when I do
die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something.
Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a
bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday and all that crap. Who wants flowers
when you are dead? Nobody.
~ ~ J. D. Salinger
Cowards die many times before their
The valiant never taste death but once.
Of all the wonders that I have yet heard,
It seems to me most strange that men should fear,
Seeing that death, a necessary end,
Will come when it come.
~ ~ William Shakespeare "Julius
Assassination is the extreme form
~ ~ George Bernard Shaw
- Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in
uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.
~ ~ Percy Bysshe Shelley "A
Declaration of Rights" (Dublin, 1812)
- While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning
how to die.
Leonardo da Vinci
- It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless
they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
~ ~ Voltaire "War"
- From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is
~ ~ Edvard Munch
- Those who cannot live fully often become destroyers of life.
~ ~ Anais Nin